Bielefeld in the middle of the 19th century: The industrial revolution turned this city into an important textile base. The deep processing of fabrics mainly adopts sewing machines imported from the United States. These sewing machines are very expensive and difficult to maintain. Bayer and Koch, two fitters, found this opportunity and founded Bielefeld's first sewing machine factory in 1860.
The company's success showed its partners great potential to develop new markets, so Bayer decided to establish an independent factory in 1865. Koch continues to use Koch&Co as its company name, and two sewing machine machinists, Durkopp and Schmidt. In 1861, Durkopp designed the first sewing machine, and in 1867, together with Schmidt, independently operated Durkopp&Schmidt.
For more than 20 years, it has been one of the most important sewing machines in Germany. In 1880, there were 19 enterprises in Bielefeld sewing machine industry. Their products enjoy a high reputation internationally and are very popular in Europe.
The competition at home and abroad made this industry in danger in the 1980s. After Schmidt resigned, the company was renamed Durkopp&Co. It became the first company to start looking for new markets by producing bicycles. New products sell well, and the road to commercial success continues. Like other companies, Koch&C0 also followed Durkopp's footsteps, so bicycle production soon became an important economic factor in the city.
At the end of the 19th century, with the production of cars, trucks and other motor products, Dukop's business was booming. While Durkopp has been trying to develop new business areas for its own business, Koch 8 Co has been focusing on industrial sewing and garment technology. Its trademark Adler has become the synonym of international best-selling professional sewing machines. Therefore, the name was changed to KochsAdler Sewing Machine Company, which stopped producing bicycles in 1920.
After the founder died, the company was renamed Durkoppwerke AG. In the late 1920s, the world economic crisis forced the company to stop its unsuccessful auto industry. In the late Weimar Republic, the company developed the first transmission equipment for the textile industry. So far, it is still one of the company's main businesses.
After World War II, Kochs Ad1er Sewing Machine Company also tried to develop and produce typewriters and packaging machinery. But soon the company gave up its business in the field of home sewing machines. Since the 1960s, Durkoppwerke AG has also concentrated its business on dry industrial sewing machines and conveyors.
In 1962, FAG Kugelfischer occupied most of the shares of Durkoppwerke AG. Twenty five years later, when Kugelfischer was still a major shareholder of Kochs Adler AG, there was no obstacle to the merger of the two competing companies. In 1990, the merged company moved to the new building complex of Odent Lupu in Bielefeld in the name of Durkopp Adler AG.
Today, Durkopp Adler AG provides solutions for customers in the field of sewing and transfer technology. The associated company has formed a global service and sales organization with 11 subsidiaries and more than 80 monopoly enterprises in the world. The purpose of the enterprise is to automate the production process to ensure the perfect and highly flexible application of products.
Extensive consulting and reliable services ensure that the company occupies a leading position in important branches of the world market. The pioneering spirit and enthusiasm for work of the founders are part of the corporate philosophy of giving full play to the creative potential of employees and meeting the challenges of the new millennium.